Curious about where you live? Need to look up some facts and prefer infographics to text? This website is insane! It literally is like all the SimCity stats for the Bay Area! This of course, to my non-local readers is the San Francisco Bay Area of Northern California… San Jose used to be smaller than SF! Hercules to the Bay Bridge in the morning is the worst commute! Check it out!
Jazz pioneer Charles Mingus (1922-1979) had a secret recipe for eggnog that by all accounts was delicious, and incredibly potent. He shared the recipe with biographer Janet Coleman who published it in her book Mingus/Mingus: Two Memoirs. Here’s the brew below, followed by Mingus’s “Moanin’.”
Charles Mingus’s Egg Nog
* Separate one egg for one person. Each person gets an egg.
* Two sugars for each egg, each person.
* One shot of rum, one shot of brandy per person.
* Put all the yolks into one big pan, with some milk.
* That’s where the 151 proof rum goes. Put it in gradually or it’ll burn the eggs,
* OK. The whites are separate and the cream is separate.
* In another pot- depending on how many people- put in one shot of each, rum and brandy. (This is after you whip your whites and your cream.)
* Pour it over the top of the milk and yolks.
* One teaspoon of sugar. Brandy and rum.
* Actually you mix it all together.
* Yes, a lot of nutmeg. Fresh nutmeg. And stir it up.
* You don’t need ice cream unless you’ve got people coming and you need to keep it cold. Vanilla ice cream. You can use eggnog. I use vanilla ice cream.
* Right, taste for flavor. Bourbon? I use Jamaica Rum in there. Jamaican Rums. Or I’ll put rye in it. Scotch. It depends.
See, it depends on how drunk I get while I’m tasting it.
Holy shit! Wondered what the fuck they have been talking about on South Park this season? Want to know what a microaggression is? (Haha, my spell-checker flagged microaggresion!) Read this article linked below!
College students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education.
“Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Maher have publicly condemned the oversensitivity of college students, saying too many of them can’t take a joke.”
“Thomas Jefferson, upon founding the University of Virginia, said:
‘This institution will be based on the illimitable freedom of the human mind. For here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.’ “
It is a fact universally acknowledged that a woman in possession of an opinion must be in want of a correction. Well, actually, no it isn’t, but who doesn’t love riffing on Jane Austen? The answer is: lots of people, because we’re all different and some of us haven’t even read Pride and Prejudice dozens of times, but the main point is that I’ve been performing interesting experiments in proffering my opinions and finding that some of the men out there respond on the grounds that my opinion is wrong, while theirs is right because they are convinced that their opinion is a fact, while mine is a delusion. Sometimes they also seem to think that they are in charge, of me as well of facts.
I don’t know about the other videos, but I love the “Everything Wrong with” series! I personally love nitpicking movies apart and this guy/guys? kills it! Not so much strict plot hole spotting, but more so a broad cast of cliches and tropes! Enjoy!